I’ve heard it said before, “Food is memories.”
Isn’t that so true? We remember meals we’ve shared with people. We remember that amazing entree we had on a vacation. We remember when someone cooks for you. I think that’s one of my favorite things about food. One bite can take you back to another time and place.
The recipe I am sharing today has a memory. It’s a small memory. It wasn’t from a holiday or big party. This memory is a simple one. One that always stuck with me.
Growing up, I went to my Nonna and Nonno’s house a lot. I remember going there one afternoon, and they were in the kitchen. Of course. This time, they were grilling zucchini on the stove together.
“Julia, you need to try this,” my Nonno said as he drizzled some olive oil and balsamic vinegar on the grilled zucchini. He toasted some crusty, Italian bread for me and put the zucchini on top. As I bit into, I’ll never forget the burst of flavor in my mouth. But the best part was the memory of my Nonno excitedly preparing this snack for me. It was special. There was love in it. He loved good food and he loved me.
So today, I’m sharing with you this easy grilled zucchini open faced sandwich recipe. Maybe one day you’ll make it for someone, and they’ll never forget it. Isn’t it neat how we never know when we are going to impact someone? 💗
Grilled Zucchini Open Faced Sandwich
- 2 zucchini
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Cut the zucchini in half. Then thinly slice the long way.
- Season with a little bit of salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the zucchini either on a grill, or a grill pan.
- When cooked through, remove from the grill. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Slice a baguette and toast it till crisp and brown on the edges.
- Serve the zucchini on top of the bread to create an open faced sandwich. Enjoy!